Friday, October 14, 2011

Hong Kong Day 2

So today we decided to check our Ocean Park. It is a kind of mixed theme park with animals, aquarium, dolphins and seals and thrill rides. 


Fountain @ Ocean Park

MTR all surrounded by glass walls. No jumping in front of trains here!





We got up at a reasonable time and went up for breakfast. We then walked to Jordan to catch the MTR to Admiralty where you could catch the buses to Ocean Park. We got there just before 10:00am and the lines were already pretty big. We got our tickets and then lined up for the bus. As with all Hong Kong public transport the process was smooth and efficient. We got to Ocean Park and grabbed our maps and figured we'd just walk around the park. We did the aquarium first which was nice but to me a fish in the aquarium is a fish in an aquarium so we went through pretty quickly. We then went and looked the panda's. Soooo cute. There was one I especially loved. It was so lazy it sat there with a bunch of food next to it and it just ate and ate. When it stripped it's bamboo it just reached over and groped for the next piece. Ah what a life!
We then walked through some more animal displays. A crocodile, a goldfish house and we saw a red panda which was cute.


Panda House

Red Panda

My favourite

Goldfish house


I was pretty over animals by then and I didn't want to bother with the kiddie rides so we decided to catch the cable cars to the other side of the park. Steve didn't like this one bit as I know now he does NOT like heights. I liked it and the view was pretty amazing. What was even more amazing was the steps that took you over the mountain. Bloody steep!


Cable cars

View back to the bottom half of the park

This had me fascinated. Bamboo scaffolding and it was all over Hong Kong

View to some outlying islands




Once on the other side we decided to try a few rides. Me being the chicken I am said I'd watch while Steve rode. Well thanks to the ever present drizzle the rides were closed. Well most of them anyway. This was a disappointment so we wandered around and stumbled across the Dolphin show so we went in. It was pretty funny as it was all in Chinese but we got the gist of it and the dolphins were gorgeous as dolphins tend to be.


Seal part of the show

Dolphin


After that we wandered around aimlessly for awhile finding ride after ride closed. We decided to go on the river rapid type ride. I mean it was raining non stop and we were damp anyway. I ducked into a ridiculously crowded shop and grabbed a poncho and we jumped in the line. It was about an hour wait in the rain. That sucked but as we figured it was probably the only ride we'd go on we decided to wait it out. It ended up being pretty tame but hey it was an experience. 


Waiting my poncho

Watching others ride


We took the train through the mountain back to the bottom, browsed through a souvenir shop and headed back to the bus. We were famished by then and decided to have a late-ish (2:00pm) lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. We caught a cab from Admiralty and were delivered to the front door. We had chicken tenders and onion rings for an appetiser, Steve had the chicken quesadilla and I had the honey mustard sandwich (burger). It was pretty nice. We then got Steves must buy Hard Rock shirt and then headed back to the hotel for a rest.


Tenders

Onion Rings

Quesadilla

Honey mustard chicken sandwich 


We had a nap and I surfed on the iPad and Steve caught up on emails. By 7:30pm we decided to go find somewhere to eat for dinner. I jumped on Trip Advisor and surfed for some ideas and came up with Cafe Kool at the Kowloon Shangri La. It was a nice buffet so we decided to give it a go. We caught a cab from the front of our hotel so it was easy to get there. We went up and even though we didn't have a reservation we were seated almost straight away. Well I was blown away by this. It was like no buffet I'd ever seen. I know I'm easily impresses as I'm not a fancy type of gal but seriously. They had a cook to order noodle station where you could have stir fry or soup. You just chose your meats and veggies and voilà it was done. I had noodles with veges and prawn. The had bbq pork and duck, Asian meals, a massive seafood section. I had crab legs. A cook to order pasta station, a curry section, breads, salads and most impressive to me was the dessert buffet. They had all sorts of amazing mini desserts. I had 2 blueberry panna cottas, a mini fruit tart and something else. Plus strawberries and marshmallows in their chocolate fountain. Steve had vanilla ice cream and gummi bears. We left stuffed and I thought it was worth the $180 AU. Steve was impressed but as he had finished off the lunch I didn't eat he wasn't that hungry when we went. I kinda wished we had of done it the first night but oh well. We got the kids some hand made jelly lollipops and I got a caramel crunch cake bar to go from their deli. We went back and hit the hay for our big Disney day in the morning.


Cake bar eaten the next evening

No comments:

Post a Comment